Monday 24 June 2013

Finding Truth

The Following is more a piece of character development than anything. It was developed for an assignment where I was to write the beginning of a play. I became intensely interested in the characters I began, so I thought I'd put it up here anyway.
Act 1

A dorm room. The bed unmade and a desk overflowing with papers and books on its surface.

ANNA (early twenties) is sitting on the bed. Her hair is unkempt and she looks as if she has been ill.
VERITY (early twenties) is standing at the desk, facing away, holding a book and looking at its back. Her hair is magenta and she wears matching lipstick. Her clothing is flashy and tight fitting.

Anna coughs

Verity remains looking away.

VERITY: So are you feeling better?

ANNA (suppressing a cough): Yes a little better.

VERITY: Good enough to be out yesterday.

She tosses the book on the desk.

ANNA: I – I’m sorry.

Pause.

VERITY (still looking away): What for?

Anna rubs her hands on her jeans, nervously.

ANNA: After all you did for me. Helping me get home, being there when I felt so badly. I should have known you wouldn’t forget about our plans. I should have checked and asked. I’m so –

VERITY: It’s fine. Okay? Stop apologizing.

Anna stands.

Verity turns to her, arms folded.

VERITY: I really hope the medicine I brought by yesterday helps. I’m sorry you weren’t here. And yes, I know you’re sorry too, but it’s fine. It doesn’t matter. I hope you had fun. I hope it was worth it.

Verity exits room.
Anna waits a moment and then rushes to the desk shifting aside papers and books until she find a small cell phone. She dials, hesitates, puts the phone to her ear.

ANNA: Hey. Sorry to bother you –

Pause.

ANNA: Yes. She was just here.

Pause. Anna begins to pace.

ANNA: No, I don’t think she knows. How could she know? And anyway what does it matter, she doesn’t have a say in this.

She pauses in front of her dresser, catches site of the medicine there. Stops. Picks it up. Bites her bottom lip.

Pause

ANNA (subdued and sad): Yeah...I know. No, I’ll be here...Yeah, just text me when you’re here.

Pause

ANNA (deeply sincere): Thank you for this, for all of this...Kay...see you soon.

Puts phone on the dresser and resumes pacing jumping dramatically when the door suddenly opens.

VERITY: Upon further consideration I might have come off a little harsh there. I mean, I’m sure you can understand that I was a little miffed, but I can let it go.

Verity strides forward and pulls Anna into an embrace and then begins to kiss her. Anna slightly rigid relaxes abruptly. When Verity pulls away both are out of breath.

VERITY: Well get better soon. And tomorrow we’ll watch the next episode?

Anna nods.

VERITY (Smile over-bright): Cheers love, I’ll see you later.

Verity exits.






No comments:

Post a Comment