Monday 24 June 2013

The Rise and Fall of Dreams

When I talk to you
I can pretend this is real.
For a moment, dreams of you holding me tight,
stolen hopes from the night before
manifest, then disperse,
startled birds rising from branches
of a dead tree.

I pretend that these fairy tales,
my imaginations of being with you
are reality for a mere second.
Our eyes meet, you smile.
And then you move away and towards her,
as inevitable as the tides’ rise and fall.

I want to take the responsibility,
be the moon in your sky,
but it is too much to ask
in the face of your own dreams of someone else.
So I only look at your hands
resting on the table between us,
but do not touch.

I treat you like a wild animal,
skittish and shying from my touch.
If I make too sudden of a move,
Come to close, you will run from me,
far beyond my reach.

Eyes wide open I still wonder if you’re true
or just another image running away
between the books and pages
scattered on my floor.
Should I add you to those
discarded leaves from long ago?
Another memento of
dreams never meant to be.

Yesterday you enclosed me in your arms,
so softly and so brief
I wondered if you could have been near me at all.
Could I step forward and press my lips against your skin,
taste your chapped lips?

May I press my weight against you
until I can believe you’re more than air?
No, for I shudder to see you push and pull away,
punishing me for testing illusion with the heat of my skin,
touching what isn’t mine to take.

I was satiated by phantom thoughts
And stolen bits of companionship.
Because inconsistent ghosts were preferable
To the ringing silence of an empty room.

And though I yearn to reach out for your hand
I stop myself short.
Because you will always be half in my world,
half in someone else’s heart.
I want you to see me the way I see you,
but I am a window to look through,
on the way to better things.

So I swallow the words,
and they don’t go down easy.
They are razor blades I slip between my teeth,
one by one.
Convulsively pushed down my throat,
tearing me apart inside.

Later I look in the mirror,
find that I can’t see anything there.
I wrapped myself in layers,
surrounded by the unreality
of unrequited feelings,
hoping for you,

until I disappeared.

By Alissa Tsaparikos

No comments:

Post a Comment