Saturday 30 November 2013

Collateral by Ellen Hopkins

I rate this novel 3.5 out of 5

Ashley is stuck in a game of waiting. Waiting for news of Cole. Waiting for him to come home. Waiting for him to be taken away again. This is what happens when you decide to fall in love with a marine; it is the path in life you agree to trudge. And Ashley has excepted and embraced this reality, or mostly at least. Now however she is starting to change her mind about some things. Her job, her Master’s program, her future career, and now Cole are all looking a lot less permanent. Can two people stay in love when they are hardly together and growing apart every day? Ashley must face these questions and the consequences of her own choices as the story of collateral unfolds. 
Ellen Hopkins, acclaimed and widely known for her Young Adult books, is and probably always will be one of my favorite writers. Her unique poem novels tell stories in a way I have found irresistible since the moment I picked her up for the first time. Of course I have favorites, or ones that are less intriguing to me than the others. That being said, I have to admit that Collateral has fallen into the latter. 

It was a good novel, the story sucked me in, and I was pretty consistently glued to the pages as the book came to its climax. Hopkins' voice remains an informative and interesting narration. However, I was slightly disappointed in comparing it to her other novels. Perhaps the story was just not my thing, or it had something to do with my dislike of the main character. However my reaction stands: it was a good novel but it wasn't her best.
-Alissa Tsaparikos

No comments:

Post a Comment