Saturday 2 November 2013

Nano day 2: 5,106 Words and the First Plot-Twist of the Month

I know when a writer uses the term plot-twist they refer to what is happening in their stories. However, sometimes I like to apply it to life. And boy did I have a plot-twist happen to me last night, though admittedly it did have to do with story I am now writing

I was sitting back, feeling pretty happy about my word count, skimming a few paragraphs. And then it hit me. My whole first novel, the one this sequels, was written in 1st person. I had written these first 9 pages in 3rd. OH THE CALAMITY. 

But then I thought about it and I decided to roll with things. As I said in my first update, things were going really well, just kind of rolling out. If it was going so smoothly, and felt so right, maybe it wasn't a mistake. Or maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to go back and change it all. However the case may be, I wondered about whether or not my first part of this story, the finished first novel, was flawed by being done in 1st person. It has always vaguely felt like the story was lacking something and merely chalked it up to the story line or my own writing style being at fault. However maybe the POV was somewhat to blame. I did originally narrate this story (whilst orating it to friends in it's very very beginning) as 3rd person. It was what made sense seeing as it was from the different points of view of four main characters. When I did my first draft attempt at the beginning (about 15 or 20 pages) I did the whole account in 1st person. For a bit I floundered. wondering if it was possible to do a four person narration all in 1st. The conclusion I came to was yes, though characterization was that much harder beings as it had to be that much more unique going from one character to the next. And so I wrote. 

So while I made the attempt and eventually finished, I'm starting to wonder which was the right choice. I have decided to leave it up to my readers. 

Below is a snippet from both the 1st and 3rd POV. Please leave comments and opinions. Any little bit helps.

Both are from the character Lucian's point of view.

From A Servant and Her Princess
  • I was halfway done packing a case when Will walked into my room. Turning, I stepped in front of the bag, somehow self-conscious.
    His eyes narrowed. “Going somewhere?” He asked it casually, but there was something dangerous in his voice.
    “Yes.”
    “And where might that be? Not after the servant is it?”
    “And if it is?” I asked, not even trying to vale my wariness.
    Something hung between us and I wasn’t sure what he would do. This was a different person from the boy I had grown up with. This man was hard, bitter. This man did not like me at all. He stood motionless, no visible reaction on his face. He turned to leave and facing away from me spoke slowly. “And if I forbid you to leave – forbid you to choose that woman a second time?”
                His implication of power over me, power he had never threatened or used over me before, made me flush red with fury. No one would keep me from doing as I wished and he knew this better than anyone. Was he aiming to make me become an outlaw? “Are you going to make me stay?” I asked just as calmly, not belying the maelstrom of anger and frustration wreaking havoc within.
                Will seemed to sag then, as if the challenge was too great. He turned to leave but stopped at the doorway. “Think carefully about your next actions Lucian. You have always been my closest friend and confident, but my trust can only be spread so thin. Make you decision now. Leave if that is what you feel you must do, but know this, if you leave you will not be welcomed back here. A friend divided, sly, and tricksome as you are is no friend at all. And before you rush off to go save the love you so desperately want, ask yourself if it really is the right thing. By all means I cannot make up your mind for you, but it seems to me you have hurt that girl enough to last her a lifetime. I imagine yours if the last face she wants to see for as long as she lives. In fact, didn’t she say just that the last time you saw her? A reunion with her will only cause a world of hurt for everyone involved and those left behind,” he paused, looking at me imploringly. “Just think for once Lucian, really think. After all the grief you have caused her, if you really care for her you could give her the greatest gift of all now and let it go. Make it so she never has to see your face again, the face that betrayed her,” and then he was gone. 

From An Adviser and His King
  • Anger started to mingle with his initial shock and Lucian pushed up off the ground and placed himself directly in front of his friend’s path, giving him no choice but to look Lucian in the eye. “And what of my defending the honor of you and your wife.”
                Will sighed heavily and looked away from him. “The honor of your King and Queen doesn’t seem to have been the first priority in your life up to this point.”
                Lucian tensed at the jab, felt his fists ball reflexively. But it had been years since they were children who could settle an argument with a playful brawl and if Lucian was honest with himself he wasn’t quite sure that he and Will were even a shadow of their former selves. What had happened to those children he wondered.
                Forcing himself to relax his pose Lucian backed away a step or two and tried for a soft expression. “True my mind mighten always have been on Kings and Queens, or Princess and Princesses. But you know I could never stand by and listen to someone abuse my friend.”
                He wasn’t sure if there was any hope of his friend forgiving him, but if anything could remind Will of their closeness it would be through a memory of every time Lucian had come home bloodied and bruised but with a smirk on his face. Will would always ask who had done it, but Lucian would never tell. Sly and vindictive he could be, but he wouldn’t boast about beating ruffians to a pulp who spoke unkindly about the, at the time, young and bumbling Prince. Lucian always thought Will might have known, but until that moment he hadn’t acknowledged it before.
                Will did not smile or joke but his posture softened and he let out a breath that sounded quite a lot like defeat. Lucian bit back a smile. Will had remembered. There was still hope for their friendship left. Honesty seemed to be the key to at the moment so Lucian decided to take a chance.
                “I’ve missed my friend,” Lucian said, his voice low.

No comments:

Post a Comment