Tuesday 16 April 2013

An Astroidal Collision


This short short is the product of a writing prompt that came out as more of a character development monologue

            If a flying piece of debris happened to be heading toward this room right now, that could be pretty cool, well, hot, but you know what I mean. It could melt me down to a puddle, bone, muscle, sinew and fat one big eradicated blob.
The way you stare at me, I wish you had never come back. There is nothing but judgment in your eyes, a distance that speaks volumes in the silence. At least this is what I’m reading in the way you refuse to look at me. I only ever wanted to be good enough. But when every other person is pulling you in a different direction, limbs will eventually give up to physics and tear right out of their sockets. How do you think this would equate to someone’s brain?
So if I could have an asteroid fall from the sky and burn me right off this earth, maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Someone else could make these decisions that I so obviously fail at. No wonder this thing we have here is dying. I might have saved us from utter destruction, but the incline to heaven stopped long ago, and we have been coasting level ever since, now the only place to go is down.
When you were gone it was so much easier to not think about us. To ignore the signs I didn’t want to see and still carry on with a decent amount of confidence. But who am I kidding.
I tried to be funny about this, but the joke fell flat from my lips. The silence was sickening. I want to be funny now. Tell a story of some witty humor that will gain the approval I most wish for, and hopefully the passing nod from you. But this is not monopoly. Do not pass go, and don’t even think about collecting two hundred dollars.
I should face the facts that even the things that I mean to be funny will never turn out right. So why would this time be any different? Melancholy. The word is too big for this piece, an obstruction of mass proportions messing up the rhythm in my rant. But it describes me well enough, and no matter how I try to escape it, it will hit me hard and explode, like this asteroid heading toward me right now.
I had only a few minutes to contemplate life, and I chose to bitch. Typical. Maybe if I could muster up some excitement, this situation wouldn’t seem so bad or mayb – 

By Alissa Tsaparikos

No comments:

Post a Comment