Sunday 14 April 2013

Artemis Fowl: The Last Gaurdian by Eoin Colfer

This is another book I have been very slow on the uptake of reading, so my apologies. This review would be good for any who are interested in finishing the series but have not yet gotten to it. This book is the eighth and final book in the Artemis Fowl series.



3/5 stars

           Overall my initial reaction to this newest and last installment to the Artemis Fowl series is a positive one. A fan of the books since I read the very first at thirteen years old, I was eager to read the eighth book as the end-cap coming to the readers almost ten years later. Keeping with the previous books, this one is filled with the signature excellent wit and moments that get you laughing out loud. The trademark fairy plots, technology overdrive, and almost non-stop action of the series is also present. And true to a good last book, the ending ties up well, the holes are filled. So as stories go, I rate this a good read and worth pursuing if you happen to be a fan of this book series.
         
           However, as an Artemis Fowl fan, I have to admit I was slightly disappointed. Though admittedly, plot in children's books can often feel convenient, I thought that this was especially the case with this book. The magical fixing of all the problems in the book before the ending, in which all is again righted and settled in the world once again, is a reoccurring theme of all the books, and one that fits well with the fairy magic side of the story. This time it gave me pause because it seemed less like the characters getting themselves out of the problems and more like they were being yanked about by the story teller in order to make it to the final cut. This quibble was a small one though, and I was able to look passed it and enjoy the story.

          The major point that did continually push me off kilter this time was Artemis himself. As a reader I have always admired his character. His lightning intellect and monster mind are an integral part of what makes these stories work. They are after all named after him, and start all because of his plots against the fairy race in order to get what he needs. This time around however he felt almost too normal to me...and even a little dull. In the same strain, throughout the story line Artemis is appalled by the surrealism of everything going on, as if he had never fought fairies and seen all kinds of fantastic things in the previous stories. As if he hadn't traveled to a different dimension two books ago and battled warlocks in Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox. In my opinion, it is a little late in the series to be exclaiming about how insane everything that is happening is. In general, that Artemis was so off might be the problem I have with his personality development. It was as if to have a heart and realize this, he had to lose his intellect to some extent, and I didn't like that.

          Though I enjoyed this one I rather hope this is the actual end of the series. The story seems to be stretched too far, with too many inserted catastrophes to make the story work. If it continued it might be strained too thin and in danger of losing the reader altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment