Wednesday 24 April 2013

Silence


This poem was published in the University of Southern Indiana's literary and art magazine, FishHook in the fall of 2010. I had just begun writing and this may have been one of my first attempts at poetry, so I'm still slightly surprised it got published to this day :P

I sit here, surrounded by white walls.
They want me to think about how I got
stuck in a rehab clinic.
Rehab clinic is such a cute little
institutionalized phrase, when what they
really mean is loony bin.
Truth is, it all boils down to
one bad game of mini gulf.
I’m there, ready to put that
annoying little ball into the hole
hidden by a revolving windmill,
and suddenly I’m on my knees.
That elusive voice I’ve been ignoring
is gnawing at my inner ear.
That horrible squawk that says
‘You’re not good enough’,
‘You will never make It’.
I have to get rid of
that horrible voice with its
nasty truths slipping into my brain.
So I pop more of those tasty little pills until that
damn voice shuts the hell up.
I don’t remember what happens next
in this story of mine.                                                              
All I know is I’m here, the
voice is back, and there aren’t any pills
to make it go away.
I remember the first time I got a taste
of wonderful release
like it was yesterday.
High school theater class behind thick velvet curtains,
dust motes floating between me
and the twitchy senior who
shoved the baggy into my hands
as soon as he had the wad of bills.
I didn’t even wait for
the curtains to settle before
I had those lovely little
capsules settled under my tongue.
After that, the places
I obtained that blessed silence
were a blur.
Dark seedy bowling alleys,
 the shifty parking lot of the
Wal-Mart on the bad side of town,
grungy alleys behind bars;
anywhere to get it.
The places where no one
looks at you too hard.
Before I landed here
where I am supposed to sweat it out,
I always imagined
landing in jail for it. It seemed like
a certainty waiting at the end
of a long line of unfair.
I never hurt anyone.
I just wanted to be happy…
and get that silence.
Can’t they understand that?
No, apparently not.
All those doctors in white coats,
they will never get it.
Them and all of those people making the rules.
The politicians in the White House,
making laws to keep us in line.
It should make sense that
none of them would understand
the necessity of silence,
since they never
shut the fuck up

By Alissa Tsaparikos

No comments:

Post a Comment