Saturday 25 January 2014

Just One Year by Gayle Forman

I rate this YA novel 4 out of 5



Willem has woken up in the hospital, his memory coming back to him in patches, his body hurt and there is only one thing that he can't get out of his head: he must find Lulu. He left her alone and now he must get back to her. But things never seem to work out as expected, and just like the accident of her appearance in his life, another accident renders her gone. Now Willem is left with nothing a name that he gave her, with no way to find her and explain. He tries to go back to his life the way it was before Lulu, but there is no going back, because that one day with her changed him in ways he is only just beginning to understand. And so Willem sets off on a quest to find her again, if only to see her one last time. But instead of finding Lulu, he might just find himself.

In Just One Year Allyson and Willem's story continues, picking up from where the two separated and showing his side of the story. As it goes for most of Forman's books I was swept away with the storytelling of it. It did not take me long to finish this book, no more than a few days at most. I was sucked in just as I was with the first. I found it interesting, and slightly agonizing at some points and overall I would definitely say it was worth reading and finishing the series.

I did not become as attached or emotional over Willem's journey as I did Allyson. Perhaps I saw more of myself in Allyson and likened my own journey to things she experienced and found in herself. Maybe I couldn't really love Willem because of his player-esque attitude, which bothered me for a lot of the book and dampened my romantic vision of life. Granted, it was a pretty realistic portrait for a guy with a personality and a lifestyle such as his, and he does get better as the book progresses. However, it still made him slightly harder for me find empathetic and get close to. This could be just me though.

*SPOILERS* PROCEED WITH CAUTION

I really liked the book overall but I was slightly disappointed in the ending. I am greedy reader and I wanted more than that. I finished Just One Day leaving Allyson walking through his door and zoomed through Just One Year to find out what happened next, only for it to get a few feet further. I get the poetic symbolism of the kiss. And I also really liked the full circle of the double happiness that stitched the whole story together. I wish there had been n epilogue, something to seal the deal. I have plenty of an imagination, and it isn't like I can't imagine for myself that everything works out between them, but sometimes it is nice reading it..

No comments:

Post a Comment