Friday 17 January 2014

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead

I rate this YA novel 5 out of 5



Sydney has always been logical, practical, and a slave to her cause. But her life has changed and she experiences a life that for the first time include love and passion and freewill. Her whole life she followed the rules and now she can't seem to stop breaking them, and nothing seems to stop her. Not her the presence of her sulky and vindictive younger sister Zoe, not the the wrath of her father, not even the ever looming presence of the Alchemists, the order she used to live by but now works against. Now Sydney is putting everything on the line, but will she make it through it or will this house of cards collapse around her? There's only one way to find out and that is by reading The Fiery Heart.

All I have to say about this most recent installment of the Bloodlines series is that Richelle Mead has done it again.

There is so much I love about her writing: the amazing characterization that connects you to all her characters on such a deep level it is a bit mind blowing, her rich narration style that keeps a fast paced adventure story flowing through even the slowest bits, plot that is both complex and pulled off well. All in all every time I read one of Mead's novels I think again that she is just an exceptional writer, and it just gets better with each new book.

Those invested in the Bloodlines series will not be disappointed in this fourth book. I highly recommend this series and pretty much anything Mead writes to all readers, especially those interested in urban fantasy. I love the unique lore she uses in her stories, building a perfectly structured and enthralling world within the novels, one that feels very real and very plausible, despite the genre. It is something I feel many writers endeavor to implement and never succeed in actually pulling off.

I will warn the dedicated reader of this series however. Those not new to Mead's storytelling know better than most her wicked ways. These ways of course include not a little pain and agony over the ill fate of the characters we have come to know and love. This book is no exception. However the agony is of the exquisite kind, and in my opinion, well worth it, if only for the story that I can't get enough of. I absolutely can't wait until the next book in the series come out and I can devour that one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment